5 Steps To A Successful Desktop Deployment
At Verve, we have gotten very good at desktop/laptop deployments and have learned that there are 5 keys to success:
1. Plan, plan, plan – Make a list of all the user’s applications and peripherals and identify where everything is before you start.
There is nothing worse than not being able to find the install files for an application or printer when you are halfway through the installation.
2. Research application compatibility – Once you have your list of applications and peripherals, do your homework.
Do all your applications work with the new operating system? Does anything need to be upgraded ahead of time?
3. Schedule the installation – Choose a day the user is in a training or on PTO.
Would you believe that it takes 4-6 hours to install a computer properly? Most people think it only takes an hour or two, but after 10 years of experience we know better.
4. Execute with excellence – Arrive on time, with the appropriate equipment, to do the job right.
Do you have extra ethernet cables of varying length? What about monitor adapters? Have you brought cable ties to dress your install out? These are the little things that make for a successful install.
5. Follow up – If the computer user isn’t available, have someone check your work.
Ask their manager to log on and make sure all the applications are installed and can be used. Double check the printers and profile data. Call the user the next day to verify that they have everything they need.
Oftentimes, a user will miss something, and your follow-up call will head off a support request or downtime for the user.
Want to know more? Reach out to someone on our team at firstname.lastname@example.org